Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by CCCC

It is not surprising that you would bring "church" into the discussion and take opportunity to claim that some in the "church" of art/music/etc. are intolerant and judgemental of others in the "church". Nice try - but it does not work.that way - not at all.
Nobody in the broad church of their chosen field
is intolerant or judgemental ?Surely you don't believe it only exists in one's religion ?
This grading and panning happens every day. It is not "church" - it is human behavior.

Human behavior that extends well beyond a religion or any one chosen field.I've also heard politicians use the term 'broad church' to describe the conflicting differences of opinion within their own party.
As often said, there is no accounting for poor taste.

Well Knopfler is on record saying he still likes cheap guitars...which might not sit well with highly developed sophisticated types such as yourself.
"Loving guitars means you’ve got to love the cheap ones as well...Boy, I loved them and I still do. You never escape that.” /Musicradar Dec. 2918.

You still can't seem to resist showing your heavy proclivity for ignorance of normality in the human condition - your bias and disdain show like a beacon, as well as your dedication to punch at those who worship other than do you.

Your use of the term "church" for any sort of field of study or endeavor is obtuse and inapplicable. The object there for normal humans is not worship. Keep in mind, you inserted the term "religion" into this discussion - it was never in my thoughts.

Do you really think it is germane in the least - even worth a tick - to know what terms (church) these politicians apply to their party troubles? Really?

I admire Mark Knopfler's playing and his musical taste (not so much his singing) and so the "accounting for poor taste" is not applicable in your example. Knopfler is like any other accomplished and well-traveled musician - at times he happens to try to make music on an inferior instrument. Most have done so at one time or another - ever really use your ear to listen to an old club or bar piano - it's the only available tool that night. I started my learning on a really rotten clarinet. Try this - taste is internal human judgement - it is not the quality of the tools available to you. Try reading this post again - you might learn something new - and tasteful - and not church-like.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron