I noticed that the Motiv socket-style filter wrench, which is cast metal, could be installed incorrectly if not paying attention. Definitely want to rotate it around the filter housing until it is fully seated, if using that one. If not, then it won't fully engage the tabs on the housing.

Even though I bought and installed the metal filter housing, I am not 100% convinced that it is better than the original plastic one. In my mind, the metal casting can have internal inclusions/defects from the casting process that would seem to be very difficult to detect or inspect for. My guess is that you'd have a better chance of getting a 100% correct part with the plastic. Obviously the metal one is less likely to deform.

With the older engines, it seems like there was a problem removing the plastic housing. That is what my buddies told me, with their trucks. They said it felt like the plastic was going to break or get rounded edges. Like Flav's. The metal housing solved the high removal torque for them. But like I posted earlier, my engine block and plastic housing didn't have that problem. Basically tighten the housing down until it stopped, for installation. And for removal it never felt seized or stuck.