Ben Lurkin: To bad about your original Remington in 17 Remington Fireball that was a "downer".
I was a 17 Remington Fireball fan way before there was a 17 Remington Fireball as I had a custom heavy Varmint Rifle made by a top bench rest Riflesmith back in 1995 in caliber 17 Mach IV (the 17 Remington Fireball's twin).
This custom Rifle shot extremely well from day one.
THEN.... when Remington came out with the 17 Remington Fireball in 2,007 I could not wait to get one and some factory 17 Remington Fireball ammunition.
I bought the Remington 700 VSF and mounted a 6.5x20 power Nikon Monarch scope on it.
The only option for ammo/brass back then was the Remington factory ammo with the 20 grain Accu-Tip bullets.
My first trip to the range with this combo for sight-in and barrel breakin produced three groups (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured .533", .586" and .579".
Eventually when I had run through enough factory ammo I began load development with that now fire-formed factory brass and those handloads shot even better.
I settled on the 25 grain Berger bullets in my Fireball.
I am NOT trying to defend Remington because they have committed suicide and are dead but the 17 Fireball Remington Rifles I have first hand observations of all shot well.
Again sorry you got the blooper.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy