I am a huge booster of the 35 Whelen.

In NA I have taken Elk & Moose with it.

In Africa, I have taken Leopard, Kafue Lechwe, Sable, Sitatunga, Warthog, Chobe Bushbuck, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, and Oribi with the 35 Whelen.

It's a great cartridge. I own many rifles in this cartridge, but my two favorite are my Dakota Classic Deluxe (for Africa) and my Ruger SS/Syn Hawkeye (for NA). Both rifles have 1:12 twist barrels, so I can shoot 225-310 gr. bullets with no problems.

My wife shoots 225 gr. TBBCs in hers and has taken a couple of Elk with her Ruger Hawkeye. I shoot 250 NP and 280 gr. SAF in mine. We reserve this cartridge for Elk & Moose in NA and use smaller rounds for Deer & Pronghorns. In Africa, I have simply used it for my light rifle along with my 404 Jeffery for my big bore.

The 35 Whelen is a joy to shoot being very mild in recoil. I also use a 338 WM for both rolls above, but I seem to have gravitated to the 35 Whelen lately, probably due to several reasons like: less recoil, same killing power, shorter & smaller contour barrels, lighter rifle, bigger hole in game.

The Colonel gave the hunting world a wonderful gift a century ago.