Originally Posted by Teeder
My son is graduating from Penn State this spring. We thought he would be reporting to flight school for the Army in the summer, but we just found out he doesn't have to go until the end of Jan 2022!
So, we started thinking about going on a hunt this fall and are looking for suggestions of where to go and what to go after.
I really want to go back to Newfoundland after moose, but I doubt that can happen with the border crossing issues.
Are there any opportunities for moose out west with no preference points?

My assumption is the only real chance at a short notice big game hunt would probably be elk in Colorado, correct?

First, congratulations to you and your son on his graduation from college and future in the Army. In most cases, it takes you, mom, and son working and sacrificing to successfully accomplish that achievement.

Last minute hunts are certainly doable; of course depending on what you are wanting to experience. Not much experience with elk hunting - gone 3 times w/ one small 5X5 taken in those trips but each one was a great time. I can speak for whitetail deer hunting in Texas though. There are many opportunities including some outfitters on this forum that will give you a good hunt. Yep, some of those hunts are high fence but when you are talking about 10K plus acres...well that is another type discussion.

It really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. If you want to talk to someone about South Texas, shoot me a PM.