Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
So I’m pondering and frankly curious about what others consider their go-to or most confidence inspiring combo (Caliber & Bullet) for deer hunting Mule, Whitetail, Blacktail, Coues etc) no Elk. No Moose, No predators.

Obviously we don’t all hunt the same but that doesn’t matter in this case - it’s personal. Chips are down, opening day in in 8 hours you have 2 spots picked out, who cares what your buddies say, what are you carrying?

Where do you hunt & Why?

What combo(s) are you 110% confident will do the job on your deer this year?

* Admittedly cabin fever has reached its max with a topic like this but warmer weather is on the way and hopefully sanity will follow.

Pints

In your scenario of grab and go I have one definite choice. It is a Winchester model 70 in .30-'06. The rifle is a WallyWorld special with push feed, the cheap plastic stock, and blind magazine. It is more accurate than such a rifle should be. The only rifle of mine I've shot more is an M1 Garand. I've never needed a second shot with this rifle. The scope is a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with a German #1 reticle in Leupold dual dovetail mounts. I've used other ammo in the past, but currently it's the Sierra 150 gr. SBT/IMR4350 at 2900 fps. The hunting is in the woods and hills of Michigan's U. P. where shots over 100 yds. are rare.

I like to try different things, but if I need something that I don't have to ponder about this is it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.