Originally Posted by 450Fuller
577-PM me when you can -
There is some confusion among the uninitiated about the 450 Alaskan. They are wildcat cartridges,
so the dimensions may vary. The "real 450 AK is the cartridge designed by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, AK. in the 1950s-
It has about a 25 degree shoulder.

Ballistically, the performance of the 450 Alaskan or 450 Fuller, is about equal to the 45-90 WCF.
It surpasses the 45-70 by quite a bit.
A "Straight" 450 has no shoulder and it is not a true 450 Alaskan. It is a long tapered case made from the 348 WCF ,
just like the original. It resembles the 45-90.
There are those who think it may feed better in the 86/Model 71 action.
Both versions properly chambered will work like they are supposed to. RCBS makes the correct dies.

You are correct on all accounts. I have the gun done, and its shoots fantastic. At this point I'm just testing loads, I proofed it like I always do on a build, tied it down to tire and use a string and stand behind my truck. NO problems, measurements perfect, just as I expected from a Marlin 1895G. The rounds cycle as fast as I can move the lever and not a single jam, I did smooth and polish all internal parts, and it cycles like butter.

Quality Cartridge sells formed and head stamped brass, and as much as you want. For me this has been a no brainer, lower pressure for 45/70 equal loads, or greater velocity for equal pressure...its a win win, I just can't be happier with it.

I've seen on other post about guys complaining about the recoil..and sold theirs off...I don't understand that mentality, just reduce the loads to 45/70 equivalent.

I'll post velocities when I finish up testing if anybody interested.

577Nitro