I didn't really bowhunt as a kid either. We had a neighbor who was older, and he gave me and my brother each a fiberglass bow and a few arrows. They were probably in the 15# -20# range.

We had zero instruction with them, from anyone. So we did some discovery learning.

After a few months, we both had a stupid attack at the same time....not uncommon for boys aged roughly 9 and 12 ( I was the older, responsible one.....grin). Naturally in those days we were left alone at home in the summer, on a rural acreage outside of Colville WA.

So anyways, back to the story, we started running around the outside of the house, shooting arrows at each other when onw would show himself, then ducking back and laughing uncontrollably. it was all great fun until I took an arrow just above my right eye...just barely hit that bone above the eye. I fell down and grabbed my face, the arrow didn't stick, but I was bleeding all over the place. Long story short, called dad, he rushed home and took me to the ER. Just needed some cleaning and a couple butterflys.

Oh boy, was dad ever pissed. The fiberglass bows were destroyed. That was around 1973. I didn't pick up another bow until about two years ago.