Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Had an 8 pound jug of Vargay that sucked donkey balls. Took me 7-8 years to get rid of it. 5 different calibers and not 1 max load that would get within 200 FPS of book velocity. Couldn’t even get 3700 out of a 22.250 w/50 grain Sierras and 38 grains of powder and a mag primer. That stuff was pure junk. Lots of better powders out there than Vargay.

Some of us chose accuracy over chasing max velocity.

Supposition with no direct knowledge of, or basis in fact typical fire that people open mouth without careful thought.
If in fact there had been any accuracy at all, it really wouldn’t matter. There wasn’t. You can’t get any accuracy when you have ES consistently in the 150 + FPS and SD’s running 75-80 FPS. I consistently leave velocity on the table. But more obvious is the fact that you couldn’t comprehend that max load is 36 grains and I was 2 grains over, I was crunching kernels and still couldn’t get that sh*t to work. Good luck next time on your perceptions being based more on fact instead of fantasy.

Originally Posted by mathman
I've heard of a slow batch of Varget from a number of years ago. I managed to dodge it, and the many lots of Varget I've used over a long time have been fine. Too many top shooters of the 308 Winchester have had winning results with it to condemn it entirely over a bum slow lot.

Yes it was a bad lot, 220 Swift w/26 inch tube, Norma brass, 37 grains Vargay and CCI mag primer. I had a fireball 1 foot out the tube and velocity was off by 250 FPS. So yes it was Slowwwwwwww.

Swifty