The question as asked doesn't apply to me. In Wyoming (constitutional carry state) many carry handguns. I do, all the time. I also carry a lock blade knife, and I was trained on how to use knives as weapons when I was in the USMC and also when I worked for the DOD as a training officer. But my knife more a tool then a weapon. I work in my shop with my hands all day every day, and the use of my knife is something I do several times every day. I sharpen it every evening.

If I had to grab a tool and use it as a weapon I would probably grab a hammer of roofing axe. Another handy thing to have is a 40 inch hardwood short staff or very strong cane. (Walking stick)

But, as someone who used to earn my living in the world of violence and later trained troops to do the same, I can say this kind of questions are interesting for comparing thoughts, but are actually misguided. It's FAR MORE about the fighter then the tool. If you are trained correctly and you start to understand the real world you will know YOU are the weapon. What you have in your hand is a tool for that weapon to use.

If you have nothing in your hand and you think you are un-armed your training is not correct. Once you are trained correctly you'll see everything can be used as "force multipliers' from pencils to books to hair brushes to knives to handguns to AK47, M16s and FALSs. All are weak in the hands of a sheep and all are dangerous in the hands of a warrior.

Seeing you are in Canada I assume carry of a handgun is off-limits to you? I know nothing about knife laws in Canada today either. Last time I was there was in the Yukon in the 70s and the men I was involved with were part of the Canadian Army, so weapons were issued and common, but I can't say how the laws would be for those outside the military services. I might recommend a cane or walking stick and the training on how to use it to deadly effect. Once you know how to use such things to the maximum effect you can "throttle them back" as the need dictated. Something like this works well.
https://lapolicegear.com/kabar-self-defense-9406-cane.html?avad=269625_e20c45aad