Originally Posted by goalie
There are slob hunters of every persuasion.

Bow to extreme long range.

If you keep your shots within your skillset, you KNOW you're not a slob, and your feelings won't be hurt by what others write/think/say.

That's a good simple summation & a good statement that should encompass a lot of "hunters".

He does make a lot of generalizations & probably overstates a lot of things & understates others.

He's 100% on target about ego, though. Some LR "hunters" are hunters others aren't; they are just shooters & there's a difference.

If you've ever spent much time around various hunting conventions, you'll soon see that many of the "hunters" are simply & only about kills for bragging rights or for filling up a bucket list of animals.

These are the LR "hunters" that in many cases, give LR hunting a bad name & are some of the people he is referring to.

Others are genuinely really good hunters that have other motivations & have also learned to utilize modern tools to extend their genuine hunting capabilities & I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's wrong when inadequate shooters & "hunters" use LR shooting as a crutch.

I think he does badly underestimate the LR shooting capabilities of a lot of good hunters & shooters today, but in reality, I also think that number of really good shooters is relatively small compared to the numbers that have jumped on that bandwagon & use it as an excuse not to be a hunter.

Money can buy equipment; it can't buy the talent or skill or the ability to capably use it nor the aptitude & skill of being a genuinely good hunter.

Just my view of the world, YMMV.

MM