Originally Posted by Cross
I always appreciate these discussions about specific bullets out of specific calibers with defined ranges or impact velocities. I think there are certain match bullets that can perform spectacularly on big game out of certain rifles and others that may seem similar on paper don't work as well. This applies to both hunting bullets and match bullets. For example, many people have had fantastic success with 180 Sierra Game Kings but out of a 300 Winchester, I've only witnessed them fail miserably. I've heard, that .338 215gr Sierra Game Kings are so hard that they often fail to expand at all, even at closer ranges and .338 Winchester velocities on critters as large as elk. I myself, have found that the 168 Berger Hunting VLDs in 7mm are absolutely fantastic on elk, black bears, deer, and antelope; however the only elk I've killed with a 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid was not so fantastic. It killed the elk but seemed to come apart very quickly and didn't penetrate as deeply as I would have expected a 168 VLD to do. I first tried a Berger 180 VLD on a cow last year and it killed the elk but appeared to act more like an FMJ than I expected. Maybe I didn't hit any bone but at about 300 yards there was a pencil sized hole for an exit and she probably lasted for close to a minute before she went down.

My buddy liked the results I was getting with 168 VLDs out of my 7mmRM and he tried the 30 cal 168 VLDs out of his 300 Winchester. It appeared to be a much more explosive load than I was getting. His last big game animal with these was a white-tailed buck from about 70 yards that blew a 5 inch diameter entrance wound on its side that he had to track for 1/4 of a mile. He said the blood trail was spectacular as it looked like someone had hosed down all the area on the left side of the trail with garden hose full of blood.

Results vary. I wouldn't say my experiences are more or less valid than anyone else's. I would say, when trying to match the results others are reporting, make sure you match the exact bullets with the reported impact velocities. Variations in caliber and velocities can yield very different results.

Cross

Very well said.

hat is why I use Accubonds, Partitions, TTSX, Hammers and others that are similar. Accuracy is fantastic with them all in my rifles.
I personally do not see any advantage to using bergers, matchkings or scenars on game.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""