Opinions may vary, but while an aperture sight close to the eye might be best, I can certainly see where a barrel-mounted peep would be more accurate and easier to use than the open sights used on most lever actions. It's kind of a middle of the road solution.

I have used open sights on my Marlins and other lever guns for many years, but it gets more difficult as I age. So I have plenty of experience with adjusting and using them.

Williams aluminum aperture sights have never impressed me. They were always just the cheap version of the all-steel Lyman that was available back in the 1970s and earlier.

The Skinner receiver sights are much stronger than the Williams, although windage adjustment is limited, and they often require a high front sight, since their base is higher than conventional receiver sights.

And while I confess that I don't have any experience with a barrel-mounted aperture sight, it does seem to solve some problems.

1) It mounts low and is usable with the existing front sight.
2) It allows for the same amount of windage adjustment as the open rear sight, unlike the Skinner receiver sight, which is limited.
3) There are no potential problems with the axial alignment of the receiver and the barrel, since both front and rear sight are barrel-mounted.
4) It is the most compact and attractive aperture sight available.
5) It is made of very strong all-steel or steel and brass metals unlike the Williams.
6) Reviews are very good for this sight.

Last edited by saddlegun; 03/30/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT