Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by efw
Going backpacking with a college buddy of mine in May. Haven’t seen him in about a decade and he lives on the Wis/Min line so we’re meeting in the western UP which is roughly equidistant. 5 nights and 4 days on the trail in some of the most remote country in Michigan.

Can’t wait.

I used to do the backpacking thing on portions of the A-T and side trails, coordinated loops, 3-5 days.

Was 3, sometimes 4 of us.

One guy was habitual ill-planner. He would take a loaf of bread and some peanut butter, some ramen.
No water filter, hump a gallon of water. He was great at car stereo installation and window tinting but that was it. He was miserable to be around. lol

Constant, pitiful mooch. Have to filter him some water so he could make himself some ‘crystal light’.

Bumming whiskey, bumming cigars. Bumming food, couldn’t hardly get gas money out of him. laugh

Oh yeah man these longer trips can make or break a friendship for sure! I don’t ever backpack either anyone I don’t know well and trust to pull their own weight. Last thing I want is to have to bury a body in the backcountry.

I will say that the enjoyment I get from these trips is different from that of a hunting or fishing trip because the point is just being there together and little more rather than filling tags or coolers. For me it turns the entire trip into the relaxing and leisurely time hunting and fishing allow at sunrise and over campfires.

Keeps me in shape for hunting & fishing too...

The comment made earlier by someone about how important regular guy time is resonates with me. I go out for day hikes, breakfasts, dinners, fishing evenings, local hunts, group chore times, etc with guys at least 5-10x/month. I keep a core group go a few guys real close by and make clear to them that if I’m doing something stupid they have the responsibility to tell em so even if it pisses me off.

I need friends who want better for me than I am willing to settle for. This is something I’ve pounded into my kids too. I can’t imagine the errors I’d have maintained if I hadn’t had guys around who’d set me straight.

My person cited is still a friend but I have to observe a ‘threshold’ with him. Which became about 24 hours after a few trips.
He finally got himself a wife, some kids and a few horses.