“ Bears are thick over there. Got driven off a fishing hole on the Newhalen river. A bear wanted the spot more than me it seems.”

Right you are.

Made many trips to Illiamna flying out to any one of the Lakes tributaries. Always enjoyed the Newhalen more as caught the largest Rainbows and Char there.

We had a middle aged boar that earned the nicknamed “3 O’clock Charlie” as he would always appear in the afternoon. My usual companion Karl was napping in the tent after a long morning of fishing. I was close enough to hear him snoring, even though the sound of the gorge was loud enough to drown out mere mortals sleep noise. Just happened to glance back at the sound of an extra loud round of his snoring and saw “Charlie” peering into the open flap at the “symphony” offered. It’s a good thing that Charlie wasn’t a music critic as he snorted, turned around and headed uphill.

To this day, Karl does not believe this happened. That the statement “ignorance is bliss” has been used to describe many different occasion (at the least) seemed fitting to this one. Karl continued to accompany on several trips after without any reservation or concern. Just so others here appreciate this is not an attempt at “thread hijacking” Karl carried his Model 88 in 308 on every trip. He never once fired a shot for any reason. He was always comfortable packing it, certainly.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters