Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by olgrouser
For the 250-3000 cartridge my go to powder is H4895. There is some IMR4895 on the shelf but the groups just aren't as tight or my aim is getting lousier with age. There is a sweet spot around 34-35 grains in both powders with a number of bullets and load combinations.

For bullets there is a stock pile of Sierra 90gr Blitzkings and 90 gr Gamekings which print to the same point of aim with my Savage Model 14 American Classic. These bullets shoot well out of my Savage lever guns and Model 1920/26s too. The Sierra bullets proved the most accurate.

The Hornady 75 gr V-Max printed well at the range and were quite accurate and effective on varmints. Remington Core-Lokts shoot close to MOA.

Played with Barnes TSX and TTSX 85 gr and 100 gr bullets with good results but, I'm still having a challenge finding a monolithic lead free bullet for the older 14" twist rifles. There are 150 or so rounds of Barnes 75 gr XFB in reserve but then again the pressures created by the solids may be too high for century old rifles, and I haven't found an accurate load at this time.

So for most 250-3000 rifles in my collection of 250s it's H4895 and 90gr Sierra's of one ilk or another.

Is that 90gr Sierra a HPBT and if so are you using it on deer?
I've used it to hunt deer with several .25 calibers.....it's a very good bullet for deer in all my quarter bores but never used it in a .250 savage.