Originally Posted by Boomer454
I never quite did understand why Hemingway became pretty much the only hunting writer who is also popular with people who are not hunters, but literature enthusiasts. I've only read Francis Macomber and Snows of Kilimanjaro as well as some of his non-hunting stories at this point, but I'm starting to think that the case can be made that (at least in these books) he didn't really intend to write about hunting, but something about the human condition and what have you. Is Green Hills of Africa similar in this regard or is it more sort of an account of actual hunts?

Boomer454-
You might consider some possible additions to the class of hunting writers who created works that were popular among non-hunters.

Zane Grey's writing were immensely popular. He was for a time the world's best selling author. Influential critics and literati didn't rate him highly, despite his major role in inventing the western genre. His books have been made into more movies than books from any other author's. Outside of westerns he was better known for writing about fishing than hunting, but he did produce hunting tales and wrote some articles for Sports Afield about firearms.

William Faulkner certainly belongs to this group. Faulkner was a hunting writer, and his hunting tale "The Bear", a deep consideration of human-nature relationships, is generally considered one of the finest, and frequently the finest hunting story ever written. He really did have to be talked out of his annual week at deer camp, in order to go to Stockholm to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/do-you-write-mr-faulkner/.

There may be other authors who belong to this class also. Ruark? Steinbeck?

--Bob