Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by JD45
... Today Africa has become a place to just show off wealth, or piss away your retirement if you're poor and dumb. ...

What do you base that on? My actual experience is completely different. The guys I hunted with are salt of the earth guys who are a pleasure to hunt with. They charge just enough to make a living and they are damn good at their job. The actual cost per animal is a bargain compared to US guided hunts, and the experience of seeing hundreds of animals every day is priceless.

And to the point, I just started reading Green Hills of Africa.

I should rephrase that. Oh, I'm sure there's lots of great guys that can afford it. But for most it's out of reach. Your retirement will get partially pissed away.

Now, If you are the type that will finance a $70,000 truck, or even buy it cash without a couple million in the bank, then you won't understand my thoughts on money.

I read lots of the greats before I was 25. Ross Seyfried made me want to be a PH like him. I never got rich so there's that.
I also met 3 guys over the years that traveled the world hunting and had massive trophy collections. You wouldn't want to meet or hang with any of them I promise.