Originally Posted by iddave
You've picked my three favorite bullets for the 7mm, and I've killed elk with all three.

Consistently under 500 and I'll take the 160 AB. Consistently over 500 and I'll take the 162 ELD-X.

Within your parameters of 225 to 700 though...tough to beat the 168 VLD imho.

Dave

A couple years ago I had a rocky Mtn bighorn sheep tag, I had Zero intentions of shooting my ram on opening weekend because the rut was not in full swing and I had another month to get my ram...........after opening day one of my friends called as I had gone into town for supplies so I was in cell range.
He told me he was hunting the other side of the river with a client in a different unit than mine and found a giant ram that they wanted to take in the morning, only problem was that it was bedded in the cliff's at a range too far for his clients gun to reach...........can you come help in the morning and bring your rifle??????? Next morning the Ram was still in the same spot, I got my friends client laying prone on a flatbed trailer with my rifle and shooting rest, several of us had rangefinders and video cameras and spotting scopes.
It was 1200yds !!!!!!!!!!!! I dialed the scope in (he flinched big time on the first shot), second shot myself and others looking through spotting scopes could tell he was dead before he hit the ground............160gr Accubond favorite 7mm bullet ever. if it will kill a Ram at 1200yds an Elk is no problem in triple digits