Originally Posted by Heeler
I can only imagine how nerve wracking that ride would be for folks not used to it. Those are really good pics and thanks for sharing.

I went to college with a guy that was a wrangler/guide out there in the early-mid 90s. He had some neat pics to share. Said they 'broke-in' new mules by hauling in supplies at night to the Havasupai.

When we were ready to mount up they asked if anyone had experience .My wife jumped up and said he has 50+ years..They put me on a mule that needed a " bit" more seasoning. Everyone else got dead heads.He only had the people thing a few times, but packed. He wasn't impressed with the hikers and hugged the outside of the trail that had the 500 foot drops whenever we passed one and we passed a bunch. He didn't like a mule too close to his butt and crow hopped trying to kick back when one did get too close Try that on a 3 ft wide trail. They told us all mules were trained to direct rein,no neck reining at all.They forgot to tell that to my mule.He didn't do either. It was nerve pucker time for me a few times,but what an adventure for sure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles