Originally Posted by Sycamore
Saddlesore,

lot of great country down there, appreciate the pictures. Having no riding experience, I have elected to hike that trail. Pretty stove up from the hike when finished, but nothing like I would be if I rode. I like Phantom Ranch, nice shade trees, food is good, and cabins are historic!

Sycamore

I met people that never was on a horse or mule in their life, the entire family.The wranglers said the same thing. They were a little sore, but so is hiking. I think you would be surprised how well you do.

In all the years these rides have been going on, one death occurred.That was from a horse rolling over on a wrangler. On the other hand 2-3 days ago a woman hiker was air lifted out of Pantom Ranch from heat stroke and she died. The day I did the ride,another person was air lifted from about 1 mile from the top, She look dead as she was completely covered with wrap. On top of a mule on those rides is probably the safest recreation you can do in the Grand Canyon.

I put it off too many years and only my wife's coaxing got me signed up. I would do it again in a heart beat if I wasn't so old and gimped up.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/24/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles