Originally Posted by bg7m
Recently picked up a 1996 highwall in 7mm mag with a 28" octagon barrel.
Gonna put a Vortex Viper on it soon and head to the range.

Nice! I have the same rifle, purchased in the early 90's. My 7 mag loves handloaded 145 and 160 grain Speer Grand Slams. I have some old Federal Premium 150 grain BTSP factory ammo that my father gave me out of a friends estate that shoots damn near in the same hole if I do my part. I have chrono'd those 150's at 3150 out of that 28" barrel.
Longest shot I ever made on a west Texas muley was 603 yards with that rifle and the 160 Grand Slam. I have a gloss Leopold 3.5-10X40 mounted on it with Conetrol rings and bases.

I don't take her hunting much any more because she's too pretty to bounce around in a UTV. I did take her out locally last year and killed two axis with the 145 Grand Slam and took her to the lease once last year and killed a huge hog with those 150 BTSP's.

Those Grand Slams are getting hard to find nowadays. I've got one box of the old 160's, a few handloaded 145's left and some of the 145 Speer BT's hand loads as well. I'm down to about15 of the 150's.

I love shooting that rifle and it gets oogled a lot at my local range. By far the prettiest rifle I have. I'll never sell it.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!