Originally Posted by bg7m
Originally Posted by DubThomas
Originally Posted by bg7m
Recently picked up a 1996 highwall in 7mm mag with a 28" octagon barrel.
Gonna put a Vortex Viper on it soon and head to the range.

Nice! I have the same rifle, purchased in the early 90's. My 7 mag loves handloaded 145 and 160 grain Speer Grand Slams. I have some old Federal Premium 150 grain BTSP factory ammo that my father gave me out of a friends estate that shoots damn near in the same hole if I do my part. I have chrono'd those 150's at 3150 out of that 28" barrel.
Longest shot I ever made on a west Texas muley was 603 yards with that rifle and the 160 Grand Slam. I have a gloss Leopold 3.5-10X40 mounted on it with Conetrol rings and bases.

I don't take her hunting much any more because she's too pretty to bounce around in a UTV. I did take her out locally last year and killed two axis with the 145 Grand Slam and took her to the lease once last year and killed a huge hog with those 150 BTSP's.

Those Grand Slams are getting hard to find nowadays. I've got one box of the old 160's, a few handloaded 145's left and some of the 145 Speer BT's hand loads as well. I'm down to about15 of the 150's.

I love shooting that rifle and it gets oogled a lot at my local range. By far the prettiest rifle I have. I'll never sell it.

I havent shot this one yet, my Ruger No.1B and my Browning BBR likes the Federal Fusion 150 grain 7mag.
The barrel on this one touches the fore end when trying to slide a dollar bill in between.
May I ask if your barrel touches the fore arm on yours?
I plan to carefully remove wood inside of the fore arm to relieve it.
thanks

My barrel doesn't touch the forearm.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!