Originally Posted by wabigoon
James, do you get deep frost in the soil, or frost at all?

Richard, I'm assuming you're talking about the ground freezing and staying that way most of the winter. The answer would be no. Some years, we'll have a cold spell with below freezing temps for maybe a week or so. Then the ground will freeze, sometimes deep enough to freeze up a water line if it hasn't been put in deep enough. But, the weather here just doesn't stay cold enough the entire winter for it to remain frozen all winter long, especially with the way it's changed over the course of the past 20 years or so.

The record here for the lowest temp is -22, and I've seen -20, and lots of cold in the minus 10 to 15 range. But, it just doesn't stay that way very long. We'll have lots of mornings in the winter when the overnight temp is cold enough to freeze the gound hard enough to allow you to run equipment over it without making ruts. But, it's usually thaw out by mid-day, and get soft again.

I know that farmers in your area can put anhydrous down in the fall, and the frozen ground will hold it in. We can't do that here.