Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by rem141r
in this case i doubt it makes a difference. i never heard of the counter rotating kind. i though the forward rotation was what what propelled it. if you want a tiller, i'd get an older troybuilt horse 8hp. if thats too much, go with a pony. whatever you get, make it a rear tine.

The rear tines can be placed in Tine-neutral and have their own transmission so you can still ‘drive’ them to and from the shed

The rear tine units will also till in forward till motion but essentially the machine will run off and leave your grip and not really dig in. Thus counter rotating tines while the transmission progresses the whole machine forward makes it efficient.

Those archaic Front Tine machines will give you a good beating and shake down, you see them often at yardsales, folks can barely get $50 to $75 for them. No one wants them.

A rear tine unit when used for weekly cultivating chores, a man can simply walk beside them gently guiding with one hand.

The one I ended up stuck with uses a drag bar to hold it back. Properly adjusted, it works as advertised and I can run it one-handed, more or less. Not as easy as a rear-tine, but do-able.

The Cub I ordered and never got had it all: Honda engine, F&R, rear tines. Might try again next year.

Lots of clay and rocks here, I see people having a hard time with them. Probably be alright in some built up garden spots with duff, organic matter or loamy, sandy soil horizons.