There is no point in China invading small nearby countries like the Philippines for the same reason here is no point in us invading Canada or El Salvador. They're weak, no threat, and they basically do what we say.

Raw materials? They're colonizing Africa, partnering with the black dictators. They make a deal with someone like Mugabe in Zimbabwe for mining rights, Mugabe rounds up a few thousand "slaves" to work in the mines, and China deposits a lot of hard currency in Mugabe's account in Switzerland.

Taiwan is altogether different. It's a matter of honor because they consider Taiwan a part of China. When they think they can get away with it, they will invade. They'll send a note to the US president suggesting it's a fait accompli, reminding us that technically the US recognizes Taiwan as part of China, and saying it would be a shame, since nothing would be accomplished, to sacrifice Los Angeles and Seattle. Let's be friends.

In response the US president will send the UN a nasty note and impose sanctions, consisting of travel restrictions to the US for 20 named Chinese.

If Taiwan has any brains, they will secretly stockpile a few nukes. Or already have.

The Taiwanese I know have put some of their assets in the US.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.