John, thanks for your inputs as always....

RCBS is going to ream out the F/L die to where I don't have to use the expander ball to neck it.. 2 week turn around quoted after I get it to them down I 5 a couple hundred miles from here in Oroville...

I think the need for cleaning the bore happens to be the barrel I got.... its an ER Shaw I got from EABCO in Minnesota... I am sure it is not finished as nicely inside as one direct from Shaw....I think it will keep getting better... I have $250 in the barrel... I concede the 17 Hornet is probably a better choice, but I always had the interest in the Fireball, before the Hornet came out in 17.. so its an itch I just had to scratch...the rifle is a Savage single shot I had a 22.250 barrel on, and the rifle came as an action from Tikka Nut 10 plus years ago.. and a Bubba'ed stock, someone screwed up and gave to me for the cost of postage... I reconditioned the stock and rattle canned it, tan and black webbing..

I'm still testing it out but eventually the main powder I plan on using is H 322 or Benchmark... between the two, I am sitting on about 70 pound of it..
that will be used in the Grendal also...

The neck on the brass is the Achilles Heel of the entire project right now...I've got two cleaning rods and brushes, but so far that has broken two of those brushes, with the ends, broke off in the cleaning rods... I'l come across some who can show me how to get those out. Bore snake will go half way down and get stuck inside the barrel...

as far as the other 17s, I have a 17 HMR in a Ruger heavy barrel, factory configuration, grey stock and stainless.. bought that so long ago, I paid $450.00 brand new in the box.. it was one of the first ones shipped to Oregon.. and it had only been out of the box 2 hours on the shelf, when they packed it up and I brought it home with me...and like yours, never a hiccup.. and the inside the barrel loves to stay dirty...ya clean it and it takes 25 shots to get it back into peak accuracy...

I've also already have 17 Remington dies and also brass, and plenty of bullets... just going to wait on seeing how well me and the Fireball get along eventually, before I order the 17 Barrel... that will probably go on a Ruger action, 77 Mk 2...but in a sporter barrel vs heavy magnum like on the 17 Fireball, but that was the way it was available, with no wait , so that is how I flew with it...

regards to your lovely wife... still enjoy the books, I've gotten from her....she actually taught a hard head a thing or two...

cheer and best regard sir!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez