Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Best advice I have here is listen to Hawkl. From what I've read here he knows his shiet.

All I will say is that with what I've dealt with the last 10 years as far as boat batteries is take them in in the fall and put them on a trickle charger and check the water (distilled) in the spring when you take them out. I am currently running a sealed and an unsealed battery I bought with the boat 5 years ago and they both hold a charge well. Buy decent and take care of them and they'll be good to you from what I've seen.

Thank you.

And here I thought all those years in the business was a waste!

Anyone with a hydrometer can verify state of charge or test how in-accurate their automatic charger is (EZ RED makes a nice, simple one).
A battery reading 1275-1300 is good for three months if away from heat above 70 degrees and direct sun and won't freeze above -15 nor sulfate internally.

If its a wet battery and its sealed, it will need monitored with a voltmeter or charger by OCV readings away from surface charge.

Newb boater here. And despite my profession, I'm a minimal maintenance guy on recreational stuff.

Are you saying that batteries shouldn't be kept in summer temps over 70 degrees? Common here to not see night time temps below 70 in summer.

Sulfate internally???

Surface charge????

Wet batteries will discharge quicker as temperatures go up during storage.
As batteries discharge, the plate paste oxidizes. If left discharged the paste oxidation can create enough of a barrier that the chemical reaction from charging cannot take place. In bad cases, it can ruin the battery.