The Code of Conduct

I
I am an American fighting in the forces that guard my country and our way of life, I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

III
If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV
If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V
Should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies.

VI
I will never forget that I am an American fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

-The Code of Conduct is a Presidential Directive empowered by th UCMJ. Violations are punishable up to and including DEATH!-

I so rarely come to this particular string of the forum because of the anger and disappointment it generates. The use of freedom earned so dearly by those of us that serve or have served is disheartening to say the least.

It seems to me the loudest opinions against the military and military action are from those who never served. Some of the negative statements I've seen are stated with the utmost display of ignorance. I wonder, would you be able to express your opinion without those of us that are willing to die for your freedom to do so? How much is your life worth?

So, shut up and be thankful that you give us a job? Let's take a look at the reality of those outstanding benefits that are paid out of the unwilling taxpayer's hands.

The benefits are so outstanding that no one wants to join. Depending on the unit, manning is about 60%. When is the last time you worked 60-80 hours without overtime?

An E-1 has a starting salary of $1064.70 per month.

If you have a family, you can look forward to and additional $447.60 for housing and $242.81

A total of $1755.11 MONTHLY

You qualify for food stamps until you reach E-6 (our base paper says it's part of our benefits package so we should pursue it).

Let's not forget the free medical (provided you are on a base with a hospital). Unless of course I get referred off base, then it's likely a co-pay / and my family has to go off base... I have counseled way too many troops through eventual bankruptcy over this one. I'm doing well personally. I have a normally healthy family, I only owe a couple months pay to local docs.

Try explaining to your kids that you will be gone for a few months. Sorry, I'll miss your Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, your first ball game, and our tenth wedding anniversary. We'll go fishing next year. We'll visit Grandpa and Grandma next summer...maybe. You just hope the little ones still remember you when you get home.

How about an AA/AS degree to be eligible for re-enlistment; won't likely make it past E-6 without a BA/BS.

Retirement? After 20 years of such an easy life we get half our pay and no food or housing allowance. For the typical lowly enlisted man (that's what most of us are) - About $1000 monthly after tax. Of course we can always look forward to a VA disability. Maybe make it to $2000 a month...

So why do it? -Conviction of Purpose- Lack of support for the military makes it very hard to remember the why... Someone has to pay for your freedom. If you're not willing, then at least support the individuals that are. The time for protest is over. Support the troops!

Isn't it ironic that freedom isn't free.

What have you done to earn your freedom?

Thanks for your support
Strider

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams