Originally Posted by las
I pass if I can't keep the meat, which is well down my preference list. But then, I've only had it in restaurants, and you know how that goes. Probably better straight from the field. But I bet it isn't as good as musk-ox.....

Prohibitively expensive for a "I wanna kill a bison" feel good. At least for me.

3 of 5 in 4" at 100 from a "field position?? I'd only need one, and it WLL go into that 4" target area. Groups of one are like that. smile

But I guess the cert is good for minute of buffalo, eh? And they should specify cows only, if population control is the goal.

I would use my .338WM, probably with a premium bullet, tho my current stock of 250 gr. Hornady RN handholds at MOA would suffice, most likely. I do have 3 rounds of .5 MOA Sierra GK 250's left - they print 5 inches higher at 100 than the RN. Or if I got desperate for accuracy, I'd use the M98 in '06, all 11 lbs of it, definitely with a premium bullet. It shoots 3 of all factory buolets tried into an inch at 300 yards - haven't tried 5 shot group at 100 yet. Nor reloads. I'm sure it would be up to the task.

As below, when do the horse and burro hunts come up, destructive beasts that they are?

Yes, the accuracy requirements seem laughable for a young marksman. I would have to go prone to make the shots today. But thirty years ago when I was shooting the Garand in DCM practice shoots, 12 out of 20 inside four MOA offhand at 100 yds would have gotten one laughed off the firing line.

And can a guy not use his saddle pony to retrieve the carcass?

If I intended to kill a bison, I would use the same rifle which has proven effective on bull elk at 400 yds. A Ruger #1 in 7mm STW with the 162 gr Hornady spbt at 3200 fps mv. It won't bounce off.

As to the practicality of the matter? Across the street, 100 yds from my house, is a pasture fence. Contained therein are 140 head of bison on 350 acres. For the price of the meat my old school mate who owns the herd has said I could shoot the critter of my choice, excepting his four herd bulls. If you timed it right, as he was replacing an old bull with a new one from different bloodlines, you could shoot the old bull.

Probably cheaper than the morass organized by GCNP. No lottery, 100% chance of success. You keep all the meat, and the skull, and the hide. Plus, no packing. They would lift the carcass right into the back of your pickup with a tractor and front end loader. Then give you directions to a USDA facility experienced in cutting and wrapping bison.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.