The OP typed, "a .22lr with soul." I dig that, but "soul" is in the heart of the beholder. If I wanted to chase rabbits with a rifle that made me smile, I would carry my Marlin 39A most every time! But, my old Glenfield bolt I got from Santa Claus some 4 1/2 decades ago has as much soul to me as anything - even though it might fetch less than $100 at an auction. A Ruger 10/22 has little soul to me in most configurations, but they're awesome and I still own a takedown for the great tool that it is. Now a walnut-stocked 10/22 RSI, that's a different story.

So - a .22 with soul for $600 or less:

- An old and used Marlin 39A if you're lucky enough to find a good one for a good price
- I haven't priced the CZ's in a while, but as a lefty a 452 would be up on my list
- Henry Small Game rifle - a very cool and smooth lever with peep sights to-boot
- A Ruger 10/22 RSI, or one of the older pieces which sometimes have some cool old wood on them
- Find anything you like, but produced the year you were born. That automatically adds cool points to your choice
- And finally, ask Santa for a .22. That will bring a smile to your face every time you carry it.