Me:
I'm a hobbyist and varmint hunter. I have no interest in competition other than challenging myself to accurize my rifles and loads.

The rifles:
I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 223 (AR-15 mag version) and I have a Tikka T3X Light on layaway. The Ruger will be converted to run Rugers's AICS 223 mags, if I can make it work. This will allow me to load beyond 2.26", and up to the lands. The Tikka will get a similar conversion for longer OAL. Both rifles have 22" barrels and 1:8" twist. The Ruger will likely get some improvements done to the stock- like adding a cheek riser, free floating the barrel, bedding the action and stiffening the for-end.

What I've learned so far:
The Youtube channel "Johnny's Reloading Bench" (very, very informative channel, and can't say enough good things about it!) has done 15 episodes, and counting, on cloning the Black Hills "MK262 Mod 1" military 5.56 load. That load pushes a 77gr Sierra HPBT MK out of Johnny's 18" and 20" AR-15 barrels at about 2750fps, and consistenty gets 0.5 to 0.75 MOA with rounds sorted for bullet runout. His main goals are to achieve at least the same accuracy and velocity as the Black Hills load. If I recall correctly, he is exclusively using Lake City brass, CCI 41 primers, and the before mentioned Sierra bullet. The Nosler 77 grain OTM was tried early on, but he decided to stay with the Sierra. He is also loading to the same OAL as the black hills load. Here are the 15 powders tried so far in no particular order beyond the third place finisher:

1) AA2520- This powder pretty well matches the Black hills load with 25.2 grains at the right OAL.
2) Shooter World Match Rifle (AKA-Lovex D073-06)- Made by Explosia in the Czech Republic. AA2520 was once made by Explosia, and SWMR is the Explosia version of AA2520 marketed under a different name. AA2520 is now made in belgium. Johnny's rifle shot the same charge of both powders with virtually identical (excellent) results.
3) Alliant Power Pro Varmint- This high energy ball powder was ran about second place in testing behind AA2520/SWMR. Its seemed a little less consistent, but velocity ran a bit higher, and gave the highest velocity of any powder tested.
4) Alliant AR-Comp-
5) CFE-223
6) Varget
7) IMR 8208XBR
8) Hodgdon LeverEvolution
9) IMR 4895
10) H4895
11) Alliant RL15
12) WW748
13) WW760
14) VV N140
15) VV N540
16) WW StaBaLL 6.5

My Goal:
First and foremost is good long range accuracy out to 600 yards or so. I want to work beyond the parameters of the Black Hills load. No component brand or accuracy minded reloading technique will be excluded from consideration. I will be starting off with Sierra and Nosler 77gr OTM bullets, Lapua brass (with high spots turned off the necks), and CCI 450 primers, put together with Wilson hand dies and an arbor press. I'll try some Fed 205M and maybe others when I can find them. Johnny's best loads were all achieved with ball or spherical type powders. I have a good supply AA2520 and PP Varmint, but I'm thinking that temperature resistant stick powders might get me low SD's, low velocity spreads, and minimal vertical dispersion at long range in more varied weather conditions. However, I won't turn my nose up at good ball powder loads!

I will be very grateful for any and all suggestions. Thanks for your time and consideration!!!

Matt

Last edited by ColoradoMatt; 05/06/21.