My truck guns get beat up, also need tough scopes.

1/2" accuracy is good enough. They have to be light enough and short enough to handle in the cab....and they can get stolen. Shop the pawn shops in your area and you can find the Remington 783's that are very, very accurate. They are disappearing fast, and they are heads and shoulders ahead of a Savage anything.

I am not a big fan of AR's as they are too dam heavy I do have one custom bushmaster with a 16" barrel, still not a truck gun.

Tikka would be my second choice...lot of money to loose if they are stolen.

Guns are darn hard to find, and why pay three prices for a truck gun that someone may steal, accuracy and cheap price rules the day for me.

Scopes....the old burris made in America, 3x12 with the light collector on the front is a battle tank of a scope, still not too long. With the muzzle on the floor board, the scope has to be very rigid to not get bent bouncing up and down on the edge of the seat. Scopes made with 7075 al bodies are best...bar none....many others are just junk for taking any kind of hard use.

One of my favorite truck guns was a Thompson Center Contender in 223, 20" barrel made for a very light and handy rifle, but I would not leave it in the truck.

After owning 6 Ruger #1's, no more of them for me as they can be just too cantankerous to tune, three point bedding system, no adjustable trigger, barrels were Schitt on the older ones to begin with and you have a small fortune in one by the time you get it to 1/2" groups day in and day out.

Hunting pards had some rifles that were of notable mention:

TC contender in 22 Mag
TC Contender in 221 Fire ball

Old Sako in 222 and 222 Mag

I had a Ruger Mark II in 6 Rem compact and it would not shoot. Have had every model 7 made, they can be difficult to tune until you put on a gentry muzzle break, then 1/2"-5/8" groups abound.

For leaving guns in the Truck, the Rem 783's and the TC Venture's are both a great option. You can re spring both of these model guns and get triggers down to 1.5 lbs if you like.

Last edited by keith; 05/09/21.