Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by MikeRobinson
Can anyone give some insight on when and why Ruger shortened the barrel of the #1 460s&w?
From my research I have noticed that the early (model 11340) No.1 460 had 22" barrel and was shortened to 20" (model 21310) sometime shortly after. Both are #1S but I'm curious if there are any advantages other than a little extra velocity.
Thanks!

Like you say it is a very very small trade off in handy to carry, vs style, velocity & muzzle blast. I an ok with even a light 24" barrel in any single shot, real rifle calibers. Or 20" for pistol calibers is plenty. My Ruger American 450BM barrel is only 16". IMHO, People focus on velocity to much. I really dont think the 2" worth worry about. If I were to worry about it: The question is "what is the 460S&W, rifle or pistol ammo"? Given I dont know, 22" seems a nice compromise.

I agree. I raised the question mostly to see if anyone had knowledge of any accuracy issues with the 22"
The Ruger #1 in 450BM has a break on the end of the barrel. The 20" 460 could greatly benefit from one as well.
I just received 200 bullets from Winchester that im going to try in the 460. 260gr Platinum Tips. They are factory loaded in the 454 so I'm very excited to see what they will do in the 460. If i can't make them fly, my Muzzleloader loves them. Lol