Old thread revival, but it is interesting to see that some folks do the same thing I started last year, shooting the cheaper ammo at closer distances and saving the good stuff for farther out.

The SK ammo in general, shoots well across all of my rimfires, much more so than what I have been able to get from any other rimfire ammo. That made it an easy choice to stock up during Trump's years, especially when SK ran promotions.

The only downside to playing musical ammo is if you preload magazines at home before shooting a match...and forget to label them or remember the order they're in.

I shot a long-range silhouette match, which doubles the distance for each silhouette, and is shot from a bench last year. I've got a lot of magazines for each rifle I shoot in comps, so I tend to load magazines at home the night before the match. There are two matches shot back to back, one that allows any type of rimfire rifle and scope, but no tuners are allowed. The second match must be a factory rifle and the scope magnification has to stay at 9x or below.

I shot one of my Vudoo's for the first match and a new CZ 457 Pro Varmint that I'd bought for Base Class NRL22 matches in the second match.

That particular match was the first one where I thought it would make sense to shoot some old Lapua-made Wolf Match for the closer targets, the chickens and pigs, and then switch to Center-X for the turkeys and rams.

I shot the first match using the Vudoo and Center-X, mainly because I already had a bunch of magazines loaded for another match that should have happened the previous weekend, but was rained out. I shot a 37 with it and was annoyed because I didn't watch the wind well enough on the turkeys.

I broke out that little CZ and really hoped to shoot mid 30's but had only put less than 100 rounds through it, mainly to get the dope figured out and make sure it liked the ammo. I shot clean through the chickens at 80 yards, the pigs at 120 yards, and the turkeys at 165. The rams were the only remaining targets, sitting at 200 yards.

I normally shoot a few sighter shots at a sighter plate to make sure everything is good and then switch to a fresh 10 round magazine so that I don't have to reload once I start shooting the silhouettes.

When I shot at the sighter plate, everything was good, so I grabbed a fresh magazine and started shooting. I missed the first ram with a shot that went way high, then proceeded to miss the next ram way low. The 3rd ram was hit dead center followed by another miss. I couldn't figure out what was happening to my Center-X as it's always money at distance. The rules say that once you shoot at the first actual silhouette, that round and the next 4 must be counted and you cannot go back to the sighter plate until you've shot at 5 silhouettes. I missed the 4th and hit the 5th.

I moved back to the sighter plate and shot the last 5 rounds in the magazine and produced an 8" group...I had screwed up and shot the Center-X at the closer targets and was now shooting Wolf...

I loaded up an empty magazine with Center-X since I had no idea if I had any left in loaded magazines or if they were all Wolf. The next 5 shot group on the sighter plate was about 3 inches. I went back to the rams and cleaned them.

There's no way to know for sure that I would have hit those rams I missed had I used Center-X on them, but I'll forever be convinced that I should've shot a 40 with that little CZ on its maiden match if I hadn't screwed up...