Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
bsa1917hunter,
You were plumb righteous until you badmouthed Leupold.
Nothing wrong with a Leupold 2.5X20mm Ultralight or 2.5-8X36mm.
I'll take one each of those for any rifle known to man.

You've been lucky then, I've had enough Leopold problems that I eliminated them on my rifles.

jwp475,

Being superstitious about it, I spell it "LEUPOLD" and pronounce it "LOOPOLD" for better luck.
Out of 40 Leupold scopes I had to send 2 back, for repair at no charge.
Those two boogered ones were like the 6.5-20x40mm AO and such, on modest recoiling calibers.
Should do fine on .223-cals.
The two Leupold problems I had on higher power variables:
Windage adjust stopped working on one.
Power change ring got stuck on the other, I did not try Vise Grip plyers before I sent it back.

I am aware that Michael McCourry busted some of the more rugged models of Leupolds and then pronounced Nikon as more rugged.
So I have had about 20 Nikons and had to send one of them back.
It was a 3-9x40mm SlugHunter that survived over 400 rounds of .458 Winchester Magnum rounds on an 8-pound rifle
with LongCOL 500-grainers up to 2342 fps MV, shooting bugholes at 2250 fps, a bit over 1 MOA at 2342 fps.
That scope never showed any loss of function at all,
but the little O-ring in front of the objective lens started extruding from under the thin ring that screws into the inside of the objective bell.
That is a shock absorbing lock on the objective lens to keep it from exiting the front of the scope.
That lock ring must have started backing out due to recoil. A special spanner wrench is needed to keep that tight.
Nikon replaced the SlugHunter with the next version P3 Shotgun scope, no charge to me.

Nikon has quit the rifle scope business. Weaver too.

Leupold is still here, and my track record with them (2 out of 40) is as good as my record with Nikon (1 out of 20).
I will never get as much experience with other brands, I am sure.
Still trying to bust the other brands I have in lesser numbers.
My next most plentiful is Sightron.
I have one S&B that cost as much as a dozen Nikon P3 Shotgun.
I would rather have a dozen Nikon.

It is a sad sign of the times for Weaver and Nikon to quit rifle scope making.

What brand(s) is(are) next, or already gone ?

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.