Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by NYNY Larry Root
Some thoughts:

1. Were anyone to fake a USMC CNS they would not mark it as this one is.
2. The double strike means nothing as I doubt anyone has exact duplicates of the Colt dies.
3. All the parts and features are correct for a 1906 revolver.

As this revolver was made before the USMC contract was executed in bulk, I'd suggest it may have been a "trials" gun to test all the features before mass production started.

None of the markings are engraved, all roll stamped which no faker could do. Additionally no other CNS guns have surfaced with identical butt markings although the fonts are like production guns.

The NY firm receiving the gun was a big outfit whose records are now held by G&H.

Mullin notes in the book that at least two of the USMC spec guns were bought privately thru civilian outlets, raising another possibility.

G&H wants $100 to check the old records, so I may call them to see if they have any for Colts.

To label what may be a rare gun as "damaged" with no evidence reflect poorly on the accuser.

Nobody's "accusing" anybody of anything. Opinion was proffered, as was requested. If you know more than everybody, why ask?

Classic Larry Root. It's how he rolls. Bitchin' or braggin' is his only settings...