I have been on a dozen hunts to Africa and most of the countries. To me, it costs what it costs. The governments drive most of it in fees and permits. My point is that when you meet a PH, how many of them have much more than a well used double or bolt rifle and a Land Cruiser with 250,000 km on it. In other words, I have never met a rich PH. I have never met a rich safari company owner. I have met some well to do agents, but they struggle as well.

I believe that the hunts on private family ranches are probably the best value. The hunts in dangerous game areas, especially TZ are the most expensive.

My favorite place is Ethiopia and Uganda. Ethiopia is odd in that you have to buy all of the tags up front. The tags are essentially the trophy fees. So, you pay high tag fees and higher than expected daily rates because the safari area owner only makes money on daily fees. In Uganda, it is a mix and there are limited outfits. However, the country is stunning, the game numbers are huge, and there are many other things to do there.

Zim is Zim - unpredictable but totally wild in the north.

Namibia and RSA are tame compared to other places but great to go. Economical as well due to the competition.

Zambia is a hard one. There are so many "add on" fees and stuff. Great place, great people, but watch your costs.

Have not hunted Moz.

Cameron and CAR are crazy, but exciting. Specialized and the costs vary. Getting there is hard and unpleasant but the countries hold the best eland hunting anywhere. Bongo is hard but fun. Requires money and single mindedness to do it.

With all of that said - my best advice is - pick an area that definitely has the animals you are after. Confirm that any way you can. Second, pick an outfit that is not a "churn and burn" outfit and that does not over hunt the area. For example - in RSA, a rancher can overshoot his farm, then buy more animals to restock, not so in Namibia. In Zim, Zambia, TZ - strict quotas but quotas get over sold with the outfitter hoping someone does not tag out so he sells the hunt twice - this is not every outfit. But it merits asking. In Ethiopia and Uganda, the quota is yours as you have paid for it.

Pick the best area.
Pick the PH you have checked out.
Pick the Safari outfit.
Pick an airline to get you there.
Pick an importer if you are bringing heads home.

It all costs money, but you are better off spending too much and getting what you want verses spending too little and not getting a shot.