I hunted them(1) about 3 years ago in S Texas. I think a group called WSI. . The hunt was a good one employing spot and stalk. The outfitter did insist on 30 mag 180gr bullets.. They did have some issues with wounded animals escaping, probably due to bad shooting and a lack of good blood trail.
I took a 375 Ruger with 235 TSX loaded moderately- 27-2800 FPS. One shot high in the lungs put the bull down in about 30-40 yds. But there was no blood trail until the last 20 feet and then only a little. The skin on the neck and shoulders is really 1/2" or more thick- and tuff. The 375 was bought with an African buff hunt in mind , so I used it a lot for everything, deer included. Moderate handholds made it bearable and pleasant to shoot.
We didn't have the time of facilities to age the meat a s long as desirable but it was good but chewy.. Only comparing one on one the elk cow I shot last year was probably better, but not by a great amount.
I would hunt for them again at the same outfitter, only problem is my hunting buddies keep dyiing off on me.
One factor this year might be related to the inclement weather that Texas had this winter. Nilgai do not feed on provided feed like deer and they build no fat reserves so they are susceptible to to cold kills.When they have a bad spell losses can be considerable. Or so research suggests.
3 day hunt with guide, food and cabin was 2900 for a bull. Less for cows.

Last edited by rogn; 05/24/21. Reason: computer is crazy

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.