It’s very hard. I shed tears at the vet as our last little house dog was put down at thirteen years about a year ago. This little dog shivered in fear with any change in routine, even riding in a car it bounced around, tongue hanging out, and shaking so hard you couldn’t imagine what that little body was experiencing.

It was strangely catlike, kind of aloof, not doglike in its affection — if I sat next to it, it would get up and move to another chair; ‘course my wife does that too. And yet, When I would stroke its head, it would look up, close its eyes, and relax completely.

It was a quiet, non-vocal dog except when the kids and grandkids came over at which time it would break out in a spasm of barking and tail wagging, while racing around the furniture until exhausted.

We could tell it was in pain, missing on jumps up to her sitting place, falling over, and generally looking poorly. I asked the vet for a heavy sedative and told her I was going to give her three or five times the dose per weight. If it slept her to death, ok. If it didn’t, she would be sleeping and not extremely fearful as I brought her in.

As it turned out she slept on my wife’s lap for the last three hours of her life which was a gift to my wife, as I had mentioned, it wasn’t in her nature. Still, I had to bring her in as she unknowingly clung to life.

She’s in the back yard with four others, all with their own story. I buried her in a little box shedding tears again. I sometimes think God gave us these unique, soulful animals with our deep caring for them, to appeal to the thought how much He cares for us.

The new pup likes to lay in my lap.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/03/21.