This thread has kinda gone every which way, so I'll continue the drift.

My all day everyday carry gun was a 329 (actually three) for the better part of a decade. When the pants went on, the 329 went on. Had three to make sure one was always in service.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Shot the snot out of them (9000 + rnds) with lower end .44 Mag, upper end .44 special. Sent them back to S&W multiple times for repair/maint. Always fixed with no charge.

As I've aged, and no longer spend extended time in the back country, I've gone to the 2 3/4" M69 and the 2.5" M629 Alaskan Backpacker. Just drop them in the back pocket of my Carharts when woods bumming or walking the dog for short periods.

Bought the M396 - L frame alum/ti Mtn Lite .44 special 18oz, 3 1/8" 44 special in 2003. Developed some loads with 260gr Kieths and Lil'Gun that chronoed 1,020 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country. Recoil in the 18 oz Mtn light is memorable.
The 396 has been replaced with the 329 for backup while bow hunting elk in bear country (probably will be my last yr if I go at all).
These guns are not ment to be range or hunting guns. They are for short range defense and shouldn't be considered anything else. The light weight, sights and with mag ammo aren't conducive to precision shooting. They do fill a niche - an always gun - they won't be left behind because they are too heavy. If 2 legged threats are your only concern, they aren't the best choice.
If you are a handloader, they can be loaded from mild to wild, to meet the threat in your area or you specific needs.
I like them and wouldn't be with out the ones I have.

Just some random thoughts.

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 06/16/21.