Today I had my 4th Big C since about age 55. Endoscopy doc said it was time, since my last one showed a small, but noncancerous, polyp. He also recommended that I use a stronger prep solution, to get a better cleanout than I got before the last big C.

So- prep these past two days involved mixing up, and chugging, an industrial-strength colon-blow chemical call Golytely. Strange name, as there is nothing 'light' about it. It is a prescription order, comes in a 1 gal. plastic bottle with the powdered chemical already in it, all you do is add water and shake.

You have to drink half of the gallon starting at 5 pm the day before your procedure, and the second half starting 8 hours before. This, of course, involves a sleepless night, after no solid food the day before. Lovely. There are no words to adequately describe the taste of this mixture of chemicals, other than awful, disgusting, or gag-inducing. But, it does work- after a few hours, you are on the john, exploding your guts out.

Anyway, my appointment was at 11:30 this morning, and I got home at 2:30 this PM. Report was good, no polyps, and the doc told me that at age 74, no future colonoscopies were recommended! Sweet words to my ears, for sure.

Having lived thru a death in my family due to colon cancer, this procedure is nothing compared to the anguished, painful suffering of this killer. If you haven't done so already, just DO IT!!

Last edited by Bighorn; 06/16/21.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....