Do people bother with anything out of a shotgun that is not useful a pattern? There isn't any point to it. People I associate with discuss limits on range in terms of how far a gun will hold a pattern. We mean the limit is the point after which the pattern is not useful it isn't even considered a pattern.

How do you get a fuller, denser pattern? You choke it down. With larger gauges, a useful pattern is made with less choke. The overall pattern diameter is larger. You can choke down a large payload of shot extremely tight, making it as small as .410 if you're not a very good turkey hunter and need to kill them at extreme ranges. For those of us who give the grand bird a sporting chance, there is less need of tighter chokes for longer distances. Even with lead shot, you can open a 2oz load of lead shot up enough to make it hard to miss with. Some folks will even take advantage of a double barrel by using an very open choke or spreader load to open a pattern up for shortest range shooting. You won't do that with a .410. Well, maybe you could with T10s, if you could get your hands on the 1oz load from the one boutique maker. I haven't seen anyone report actually doing it.

That's kind of the thing. Those of us who have been working with TSS and .410s since the very beginning have been riding the cutting edge. This does not relate to standard chokes and loads used for wingshooting. Been having that argument since the nineties with people who want their 30" pattern board experience for wingshooting to extend to the turkey world.

My turkey choked .410 with a handload of T9.5s holds a small pattern past the range at which I'll shoot a turkey. You'd have to see it to believe it. Memory says it's about 18" but that seems fantastic. I'd have to go dig up the target to be sure enough to report. On the other hand, my 20ga with 1 5/8oz T9s with factory full choke is much broader at the same distance with a pattern as dense. With a turkey choke the 20ga is too tight to hunt with at sporting distances.

The reason I bother to relate all this is to encourage people to move to subgauges and lighter payloads. You can keep it sporting and have the advantage of lighter guns and cleaner kills. Also, with TSS you want to stick with lighter loads and smaller shot because the big loads of large shot are lethal farther downrange than you're used to with lead. That's a point to consider if you hunt on public land or around livestock. I have avoided public land in early season and on weekends since TSS factory loads came out.

Only in the instance of the .410, you'll be dealing with a smaller patterns than the same or larger payloads in larger gauges. Mostly larger because unless you can handload, you will be stuck with factory or boutique loads which are heavier.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s