Originally Posted by TXLoader
If we're talking the 6.5x55mm as "the Swede", it is the ballistic twin of the 260 Rem. The Hornady 129gr IL-SP has been my go-to bullet for this rifle for the last 20 years, sitting on top of 46.5gr RL-19.

In developing this load, I noted another cluster on my ladder test around 43.5-44.0gr, or thereabouts. That might be better for a vintage, lower-pressure military action.

Either way, this bullet should shoot sweetly in the Swede.

The 6.5x55 may have a ballistic twin, but; 260 Remington barrels have a slower twist. The 129 maybe ideal in the 260 (in theory and practice, I never had one) but; those results will not extrapolate to the Mausers. Folks say they work. I believe it. I bring up the 260, because that was a great idea that should have been popular.

It is too bad how things turn out for the 260Rem. That is life. We still have 7mm-08. Good enough. And, all more reason to stay with the 6.5x55 even if selection of modern guns is limited. I have a Ruger 77 and a Winchester Featherweight M70 in the ol'Sweed.

I rather load to moderate pressure levels for easy results than be watching for flattened primers on the latest wizbang cartridge. And, it is my firm belief that most rifles deliver better accuracy working off modest pressure levels of the published Sweed reload data.