I've put away a lotta moose meat with the 358 Win in savage 99 and BLR. The main advantage of the 356, is a simple, lightweight, exposed hammer platform for deer country. Here in Alaska and the Yukon, most of us hunters do just fine getting onto game with unloaded chambers. There is no need of the risk, traveling many miles with a hot chamber. There's always time to load one into the chamber when game is spotted. Simlle bolt actions work great, and are what I prefer to carry.

In thick, hilly deer woods where I grew up in Northern Maine, there is no way n hell you'd get on an elusive buck with an unloaded chamber. They are spooky, and way harder to hunt than moose n caribou. Hunting with a round chambered, is a necessity.

In that type of environment, the stalking can be brutal and the exposed hammer rifle is the safer platform for that style of hunting.

Id never hunt like that with a savage 99 with it's internal firing pin, nor would I use a finicky, complicated browning lever or model 88.

The big bore 94 in 356 with it's sleek receiver that allows unrivaled carrying comfort at the balance point and extended range over a typical 30-30, that would be my top choice for back home where both deer and black bear can commonly exceed 400 lbs.