A few days ago I took it to a location I'd been to before and still had trouble maintaining lock. The only thing I use this iPad for is (so far) GaiaGPS, so it doesn't get used every day. Hasn't been dropped. I haven't altered settings to deal with other software.

When I first went this location, two versions of GaiaGPS ago, my sat lock was solid, so I'm thinking it's the software.

The company has been worthless in responding to questions. I get an email from them from time to time with links to FAQtoids that they've sent me before, which I can find on the users' forum, and which are irrelevant to the questions I've asked, but I get no conversation. They do advise closing out and rebooting the iPad frequently. What does that tell me?

(When it's working it works really well.)

One of these days, there will be a new version of the software and then maybe the sat lock issue will be resolved. I'm out of town right now, but when I get home I'm going to load Avenza and maybe another app. Hence forth I will head into the wilderness with options.