Originally Posted by kandpand
I am going to purchase a dedicated deer rifle. Either a Tikka T3x or a Kimber Hunter 6.5CM, 7mm-08, or 308. I will not shoot beyond 300 yards. I prefer a Duplex reticle. I want a scope that will track well when sighting it in and then hold zero. I want a generous amount of eye relief. I would be fine with a fixed power scope or a variable. What scope fills this need?

Duplex reticle, 300 yards, hold zero.

So far my relatively new Leupold VX-3HDs and VX-5HDs work well and do exactly what you require. I am still a maximum point blank range hunter, so once set, my scope don't get adjusted. So a ballistic reticle and giant knobs are totally unnecessary. A max of 8X to 10x is entirely adequate to 300 yards.

You didn't say what your budget was. You can find 2.5-8s and 3.5-10 VX-3HDs for $459.99, and 2-10X VX-5HDs for $759.99.

Here's a 2.5-8X VX-3HD on my Win M70 Featherweight .308.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A 3.5-10X VX-3HD on my Win M70 Alaskan .300 Win Mag.

And a 2-10X VX-5HD on my Win M70 Super Grade .270.

I'll say this: you DO NOT need a 30mm tube. You won't need the extra amount of adjustment a 30mm tube gives you at 300 yards. 30mm tubes are big, and bulky on a hunting rifle. You'll save money with a 1" tube. With respect to the VX-3HD versus VX-5HD, you'll get glass on the VX-3HD that is, to my eyes, just as clear as the VX-5HD.

I've had a lot of luck with Leopold scopes, the "Leupold Hate" thread not withstanding. They are generally very, very good scopes.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/18/21.