Originally Posted by kandpand
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by kandpand
I am going to purchase a dedicated deer rifle. Either a Tikka T3x or a Kimber Hunter 6.5CM, 7mm-08, or 308. I will not shoot beyond 300 yards. I prefer a Duplex reticle. I want a scope that will track well when sighting it in and then hold zero. I want a generous amount of eye relief. I would be fine with a fixed power scope or a variable. What scope fills this need?

Your location is showing in GA. Are you going to be hunting in low light conditions? Is weight a concern?

Yes to low light conditions as I primarily hunt in the woods but I do hunt some power lines. Mostly stand hunting but some still hunting. I am not overly concerned with weight. Would like to spend $500 or less.

Listen, we all have our favorites. I've hunted with Leupold, Weaver, Burris, Bausch and Lomb (when they were called B&L), Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco (Japanese), (and I'm sure I'm leaving out some) and they all did what I wanted them to do. None failed. All had at least decent glass, some of them downright excellent.

Your requirements for a duplex reticle, for shots to 300 yards, with decent low light performance can be met by many scope makes and models. A duplex reticle is fine for what you want to do. You don't need any complex ballistic reticles for those kind of shots. You don't need a bulky 30mm tube. You'll get your best low light performance at low magnification. If you want decent low light performance at the highest magnification, you are going to want something that gives you an exit pupil of no less than 4mm. The more the better. That means if you have a max power of 8X you need at least a 32mm objective. If you max power is 10X, a 40mm objective will get you there. Lots of scopes out there to choose from that have that.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make a fine choice. Post a pic of whatever you select. Not a single person on this site would ever tell you that you could have done better with something else - I'm sure of it.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/18/21.