If ferns are growing, your ph is most certainly low. You need to get some lime spread. I agree with a spray, throw and mow approach if you lack equipment. I’d broadcast the equivalent of 150lbs plus per acre of cereal rye (not rye grass). I’d also spread a mix of alsike clover and chicory (I’d go 8lbs of clover and 2lbs of chicory). Both of these are low ph tolerant. I’d then mow and pack in by driving over. Note that these planting rates are higher than properly prepared seedbeds. However, in my experience, the spray/throw/mow/pack method is not as efficient.

The rye is a great draw before snows pile up, and is the first plant to green up in the spring. Don’t expect much production from the the clover/chicory this year. They will flourish next summer. I personally like to let the rye grow to maturity. It shades the clover and can provide important fawning and Turkey habitat. The heads will be eaten and provide some additional seed for the following year. Importantly, when winter snows eventually knock it down, it will add thatch and nutrients for your soil.