If they feel secure, they can be almost friendly. 6 or 8 years ago, we spotted a herd of maybe 70 or 80, mostly cows with a few bulls, in a wide draw about 2000' above us, about 2 miles on foot going straight at them. It was mid afternoon. I was the only one in our group crazy enough to go up there and it took me a couple hours. I was in plain sight of them the whole time but I wore subdued clothes, moved slowly, and tried to keep sideways movement to a minimum. I guess that they felt secure way up there and I don't know if they saw me and ignored me or just didn't look very hard. I got in to about 300 yds before I decided that I'd better not push my luck any farther and shot my cow. It was so steep that I climbed on all 4's to get up to her and I needed to roll her down about 1/4 mile to find a place to keep my footing to dress her out. As I was rolling her down the mountain, 8 or 10 cows stood on a knob about 150 yds away barking at me for 5 or 10 min. They knew I wasn't supposed to be there but they didn't seem particularly spooked. Maybe they thought my cow had approved of me even though she had 4 feet in the air.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.